Friday, August 31, 2012

Windows 8 Release Preview

I decided yesterday to install the Windows 8 Release Preview on my main pc.  I had it installed in a separate partition, so all my applications were not installed when I booted in W8.  Well, it turns out that W8 is much faster than W7 - at least I think so.  So, I thought, why not just install the Release Preview on the W7 partition?  That way I could use my existing applications AND get the increased speed.

Don't do it!  Not unless you want to have a big administrative problem.  It seems that Microsoft has not provided an upgrade to W8 if you have installed a pre-release version.  You have to install all your applications again!  However, if you do not install a pre-release version, than an upgrade to W8 is available. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm continuing to test W8 on my laptop and will keep my main pc as a W7 machine for the time being.  I'm discovering more shortcuts in W8 and folk have written some code to get some of the start screen functionality into W8 that we've become accustomed to in W7.  And with W8 booting a lot faster than W7, I think I've changed my mind about 8.  Do expect a pretty good learning curve, though.

No comments: