Saturday, August 4, 2012

Rain, Batteries, & Downspouts. Oh My!

Every year during the monsoons, I vow to fix the gutters.  Every year I procrastinate.  We happened to be home during one of the recent rain storms, and noted, once again, the patio gutter cannot handle the volume of water dropping from the sky.  The gutter overflows onto the deck - big mess.  There seems to be a slight dip in the gutter about in the middle - water quickly pools there and then overflows.  Today we installed an additional downspout at that spot.  I'm sure this will fix all those soaked deck problems!!??

The monsoons have also exacerbated the golf cart battery acid leaking problem.  These batteries are at least four years old (really don't know how old they are, I bought the cart used) and the summer heat is not kind to them.  Some of the batteries boil over when charging, and the rain washes the acid onto the driveway.  We have a beautiful, multi-colored driveway now. It appeared that some cells leaked; the levels dropped so quickly.  All of this is the result of my lackadaisical battery maintenance routine.  I promise to do better - all six of these deep-cycle batteries have been replaced with new ones from Costco.  This is not a trivial expenditure; I must be more diligent in maintaining them.   Oh, and I have ordered a more sophisticated charger.  One that should be a little kinder to the batteries, AND keep them charged at all times.

I've posted some pictures of our Idaho trip on SmugMug.  Go to my photo site at www.thedustycamera.com, and click on one the trip pictures shown there.

No comments: