Wednesday, July 23, 2014

PUPs - Potentially Unwanted Programs

I use Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware Program on a daily basis.  Recently, I've noticed many pop-ups letting me know if there are coupons available for any of the items shown on the web page.  Also, other pop-ups happen if my mouse happens to get close to these items.  Coincidentally, the Anti-Malware Programs began identifying "pups...." as somthing I might want to quarantine.  So, I've done that, but it keeps reappearing.  I finally read what malwarebytes says on the subject -

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/malvertising-2/2014/07/pups-are-persistent/

The "pup" I'm getting has something to do with "superfish".  More investigation is required, but it might be associated with a tracking technology that now has latched onto my chrome browser (it happens on all my devices - probably because Chrome syncs to all).

I'm curious to know if others have a similar situation.

No comments: