Wednesday, January 21, 2009

magicJack

We talked a little bit about magicJack last Monday.  It's a small device that plugs into a usb port; a regular telephone is then plugged into the magicJack.  If you have a high speed internet connection, then you are able to make unlimited and almost free calls.  Only one problem for me - I was unable to get it to work on either of my Vista machines.  When I plugged the magicJack in, both computers' Windows Explorer slowed to a crawl.  I was never  able to get it up and running, let alone in the 2 minutes they promise.  I spent over an hour on live help site with India and still no success.

MagicJack promises a full refund if returned within 30 days.  Well, that's not quite the reality.  I placed the order on January 13; received it a couple days ago; and yesterday printed off the return instructions.  They stated I had to have it back to them by February 3 before they would grant a refund.  I don't think that is 30 days.  AND, I don't think I'll get back the $6.95 shipping (and handling) they charged me to have it sent via US Mail.

I do not recommend magicJack.  Try Skype instead.